Tuesday, August 2, 2011

You Want to Make God Laugh?

Life gets so busy, and time can pass so quickly.   It sometimes feels like high speed on the freeway in traffic... We can get so frustrated at delays, detours, and jams on the road.  We can get impatient with slow lines in the market, malfunctions at the car wash,  complex and long transactions in the bank drive through.
Years ago, I got a notion to try to curb my temper during these kinks in "MY" day.  Instead of getting angry or disgusted, I started praying during the wait time.  I would pray for friends or family in need, pray for patience :),  pray for our country, for the drivers around me that they too would be able to remain calm and find something good in their day. I would pray that there must be some blessing in the delay and that I might see it, and if I did not see it, that I could just trust that there was.

That is the good part.  When we can be surprised at how our day might change from what we wanted it to be , from what our plan was, and that it became something far more significant or meaningful.   That we really needed to be right where we were at that time and at the end of the day, it is all right.  And truly, truly, God wants to be right there with us, hearing and seeing His hand on all things, all the time.

My dear friend, Suzanne, has a birthday today.  Happy Birthday Suz!  Years ago, she gave me that refreshing perspective: "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans for the day:".

I continue make a plan, fill my calendar,  check things off the to do list, but am becoming more comfortable with those things that get in the way of my plans and add richness to the day.  Life is full of surprises.  I wish your day to be a day that is like no one else's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment